Saturday, October 17, 2009

Am I Going To Work The Line?

Yes, as much as I can, however a better question is why should I?

As Executive Chef EVERYTHING comes back to me so why would I not work my line? Granted I will do my best to hire the right staff and train them the best way I know how yet at the end of the day it's my name and reputation riding on that menu item. Whether or not myself or any member of my staff is having a bad day the customer does not give a damn and they expect for there food as well as service to be outstanding no matter what.

How do we pull this off every day you may ask..... Leading by example!

In all the time I spent as a line cook and sous chef I have only seen a handful of Executive Chefs actually get on the line and show me how they want there food to be prepared. They usually delegate it to another line cook that learned it from the cook before him therefore perpetually reinterpreting the dish!

It's funny that I remember the names of the Executive chefs who actually showed me how he/she wanted there menu prepared where as the other chefs..not so much.

First let me explain to all the industry people out there about what I mean exactly about "working the line." This DOES NOT mean being a line cook for every shift as this is what I have hired able bodied cooks for.
My Point is this,unless you show your cooks by Actually cooking with them every day, at least one entree,special etc., they will never have respect for your abilities as a chef because first and foremost as chefs we must be great cooks!

In my restaurant,until the customer walks in the door, sits down, orders a drink and reads the menu I have the opportunity to get on the line and teach my cooks the way I want MY food to be prepared and I consider that an honor. This also empowers them with the knowledge I have of food thus opening lines of communication and preventing less returns and screw-ups that cost me money!

Words mean absolutely nothing to cooks unless they know you can cook circles around them. I like a Thomas Keller quote I read once "I am only going to Promote one person to Sous Chef and that will be the person that is already acting like the sous." You have to walk the walk before you can talk.

As Executive Chef I must know how to cook, how to lead, how to delegate, how to be humble and proud at the same time (not either or), how to keep my restaurant going financially, know how to show other cooks how to make delicious food and know when to ask for help and when to tell them in, a manner in which cannot be misunderstood, "I Need This Now!!"

Based on my experience by doing these things they will not only respect me but my food as well. Usually they will even return the favor by not cutting corners, keeping there workplace clean and organized, tasting food and knowing when it's perfect and asking for help if it's not and accepting constructive criticism, treating the expensive equipment like its NOT disposable! In turn I will show them how to cost out every plate on there station and why it was cooked the way I have shown and expecting a special at least once a week from there station.

All this leads me back to why I will work the line....because I lead by example.

And I hope someday ,when they have there own restaurant, they may remember which chef showed them how he likes it done.

As always I welcome your comments.

No comments: