Monday, December 21, 2009

Changes in Attitude.....

“If you don't create change, change will create you”

Introspection is good tool to see how on the “management side” of being a Chef the next time I come across a situation where my culinary ethics are tested I need to respond in a more diplomatic way…instead of like a bull in a china closet….lol….nothing a book could have taught me I assure you. Keeping my cool may help me keep a job or least until I find a better situation.

“Anyone can hold the helm while the sea is calm”
Publilius Syrus

Looking at my career as a professional chef I have learned to carry a tremendous amount of pride for a profession that, like myself, fought long and hard to be where it is today. I have been lucky enough over the years to have learned from some truly great chefs, both men and women, and what I took from them besides the cooking is the dignity and respect for the position that I hope resonates with my peers in the industry.

“Show class, have pride, and display character. If you do, winning takes care of itself.”
Paul Bryant


I know I have many more years of learning new techniques, styles and preparations but the base of knowledge those chefs have given me will always give me a sense of pride. Sometimes this pride comes off as arrogance or cockiness to others outside the culinary world yet to be “The Chef” is to be “The Chief” and leading from the top is just the way it is.

He is the first chef-restaurateur who has dared to admit openly, and even elevate to the status of a doctrine, his belief that a chef can serve his customers with the world's finest food without constantly slaving at the stove himself. ... I have a very modern way of thinking; the chef is there to lead the team and not just to sit behind the piano.”
Alain Ducasse


In my search for another restaurant my hope is that someday one of the chefs that have shaped me into what I am today walk though my kitchen and can see how they influenced me.

No comments: